Unitaid joins the global health community today to mark World Hepatitis Day, an occasion for raising public awareness of the epidemic of curable liver viruses that cause 1.34 million deaths each year.
Unitaid is helping to defeat the epidemic by investing US$ 58 million in three grant projects (2015-2019) aimed at hepatitis C (HCV). The projects seek to develop new and simpler diagnostics, establish innovative models for screening and treatment in HIV/HCV co-infected populations, and devise cost-reduction strategies.
Unitaid’s investments in HCV:
- New diagnostics for hepatitis C and HIV co-infection
- Improving access to diagnosis and treatment for hepatitis C in low- and middle-income countries
- Generating demand for hepatitis C treatment
- “Unitaid and Hepatitis C in the context of HIV co-infection” – Factsheet, May 2017.
- Browse Unitaid publications on hepatitis C